Surgery is a medical specialty that uses operative manual and instrumental techniques on a patient to investigate or treat a pathological condition such as a disease or injury, to help improve bodily function or appearance or to repair unwanted ruptured areas.
Department of surgery was established in 1986 with basic facilities and faculty. Dr.S.S.Narasanagi,then Director of the institute Dr.Phansalkar and Dr.Veerbasavant Reddy were the pioneers in establishing the department. Later Dr.R.S.Kulkarni, Dr.Ranga Rao and Dr.S.F.Patil were in charge of the department for some time. Senior surgeon Dr.B.C.Uppin joined the team as Medical Superintendent. The department showed its presence from the day of its inception with good surgical work backed by healthy academic activities. Dr.P.L.Kariholu an Oncosurgeon joined in 1990 and took over as Head of the department in 1992. With his dedication,hard work,and quality surgical care he became well known in short period. All the hard work of the team started paying dividends. In a short span of time,it became known for its variety surgical work,good academic culture,student and patient friendly attitude with disciplined approach.
- 1986 – Inception
- 1991 – Full fledged unit wise functioning
- 1992 – Surgical Oncology work
- 1993 – Upper GI Endoscopy
- 1996 – Post graduate department with intake of 5
- 1998 – Endo Urology
- 1999 – Colonoscopy
- 2000 – Laparoscopic surgeries
- 2000 – MCI recognition
- 2006 – Pediatric surgery
- 2008 – GI Surgery
- 2011 – PG[MS] intake enhanced from 5 to 7
- 2012 – Single incision laparoscopic surgeries[SILS ] &Clinical Skills Laboratory
- 2013 – ERCP
- 2014 – Recognition of enhanced seats
- 2015 – Started advanced laparoscopic surgeries
- 2016 – Re structuring of Department as per MCI guidelines & revision of curriculum
- 2017 – Cadaver laboratory for honing surgical skills
^ Functioning with 5 units providing round the clock elective and emergency services.
^ Laparoscopic surgeries performed by all units.
^ Surgical oncology, open thoracic procedures, pediatric surgery, surgical gastroenterology, diagnostic and therapeutic UGI & LGI endoscopy and ERCP services everyday
Basic Laparoscopic Training for Postgraduates
Digital Methods for Learning Surgery
Certificate course in Basic Surgical skills
OT Technologist course
- Computers with Broadband Internet connection
- Canon Laser Shot LBP 2900B
- Scanner Canon Image CLASS MF3010
- C.D Projector with facility for direct relay of Operative producers from OT with arrangement for Interactive Audio visual facilities
- Overhead Projector
- Slide Projector
- Operative CDs
- Endo trainer
- Basic Surgical Skills Training equipments
- Facility at University Clinical Skills Laboratory :
6 Endotrainers to learn minimally invasive surgery skills
Manekins for basic clinical skills
40 trainers for suturing and knotting.
- Video Upper GI endoscope
- Fiberoptic Colonoscope
- Cryosurgical equipment
- Operating Choledochoscope
- Operating laparoscope Accessories
- Thunder Beat
- Grand rounds every week in Post OPD days by all units
- OSCE at the end of every posting for undergraduates/once in six months for post graduates
- Extra classes for slow learners
- Student seminars with invited faculty of other department once in a month
- Basic surgical skills workshop for interns by postgraduates
- Problem based case discussions for postgraduates
- Training in basic surgical skills andmnimally invasive surgical skills using endo trainers for postgraduates
- Wet lab for postgraduates
- Postings KIDWAI, JAYADEVA INSTITUTE and NIMHANS
- Advanced laparoscopy skills hands on training at Delhi and Bangalore.
- Surgical procedures demonstrated live to the department through video conferencing.
- CDs of operative procedures maintained in the department
- Performance based on theory class test, students securing marks below average are given extra assignments.
- Training in pedagogy
Regular feed back on performance regarding attendance and academic performance every term wise with counseling by specific allotted teachers.
Increased number of tests at regular intervals [more than stipulated] so as to facilitate theory performance in the university exams.
Complete detailed announcements of calendar of events at the beginning of the term so to faciltitate their study plan.
All the assessed answer sheets are displayed, corrections and interaction of students with the assessors is encouraged and their grievances are addressed.
Students are encouraged to take up small research projects & supported by the faculty in conducting and publishing their work.
Innovative hands on training for Interns & Postgraduates using clinical skills laboratory for training basic & advanced skills in open & laparoscopic surgical skills.
Two gold medals in KUD
Dr. Harish Murthy1993 & Dr.Shilpa Uppin 1996
Two gold medals RGUHS
Dr.Ramya Bhargava 1997& Dr.G.T.Sudarshan 2006
Best post graduate paper award in 2005 & 2011
Dr.Manish Pangi 2005&Dr Sharvani Naik 2011
Won national level quiz conducted by ASI in 2009
Dr.Sapna Purushottam & Dr.Pavan Patil
– Dr.Bharat.S.Postgraduate student won THIRD PRIZE in Hernia Quiz during SURGI QUEST-2014 (Hernia Workshop and Surgical CME) organized by Vijayanagar Institute of Medical Sciences,Bellary from 11th to 13th July-2014.
– Dr.Bharat.S.Postgraduate student of General Surgery presented Poster Titled”Managing Infected Pancreatic Necrosis in a limited Resource Set up -during 7th Annual conference ASICON-2014 held at Hyderabad and won BEST POSTER AWARED “1st Prize” from the Association of Surgeons of India.
Dr. Bharat S .was awarded BLDE University gold medal during the convocation held in 2015 for best postgraduate degree student for the year 2015.
-Dr.Polu Mithilesh Reddy Postgraduate student of General Surgery presented Paper Titled”Prospective comparative study of Mini Laparoscopic and conventional Laparoscopic cholecystectomy and won 2ND PRIZE- at 78th Annual conference of Association of Surgeons of India held at Chennai trade Centre, Chennai from 26th – 30th December 2018. (National)
– Dr.Kothuri Sricharan Raj Postgraduate student of General Surgery presented Paper Titled”Different approaches in the Management of Diabetic foot ulcers and Awarded 3rd Prize at 78th Annual conference of Association of Surgeons of India held at Chennai trade Centre, Chennai from 26th – 30th December 2018. (National)
– Dr.Gopashetty Dheeraj- Postgraduate student of General Surgery presented Paper titled “Serum Iron Levels in Gall bladder Stone Disease : A Comparative Study & Awarded “ 3rd Prize at 78th Annual conference of Association of Surgeons of India held at Chennai trade Centre, Chennai from 26th – 30th December 2018. (National)
– Dr.Preethi Mohan Postgraduate student of General Surlgery presented Free Paper titled”Heparin a better Sanative for Burns patient”& Awarded 1st Prize held at 37th Annual conference of Karnataka State Chapter of the Association of Surgeons of India-KSC-ASICON-2019 held at VIMS, Ballari from 15th to 17th February-2019
– Dr.Samhitha Reddy Postgraduate student of general Surgery presented Poster titled:A Rare case report of Transverse colon Giant Mesenteric cyst. and Awarded 2nd Prize held at 37th Annual conference of Karnataka State Chapter of the Association of Surgeons of India-KSC-ASICON-2019 held at VIMS, Ballari from 15th to 17th February-2019
Dr.Rohit Vaidya Postgraduate Student in Surgery Presented Paper Titled”Buttonhole Appendicectomy-A better Alternative to Laparoscopic In Rural India”& Awarded 1st Prize during79th Annual (National) Conference (ASICON-2019) from 18th to 21st December-2019 held at Bhubaneswar at SOA University. Bhubaneswar
Dr.Vishnu Teja Postgraduate Student in Surgery Presented Paper Titled”Neural Tube defect repair-An initial experience at our Institute & Awarded 1st Prize during 79th Annual (National) Conference(ASICON-2019) from 18th to 21st December-2019 held at Bhubaneswar at SOA University. Bhubaneswar
Basic clinical skills and advanced skills laboratory is established under aegis of the university and the department.This centre contains all the facilities, simulators,equipments and other audiovisual facilities. This centre is functioning as nodal centre for learning basic and advanced skills in training a medical graduate and postgraduates of various surgical specialities.It also provides training of basic skills for paramedical workers and nursing students.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Surgery is the treatment of disease, injury or other disorders by direct physical intervention, usually with instruments. Surgery involves cutting into the skin or other organs to accomplish any of the following goals:
- further explore the condition for the purpose of diagnosis
- take a biopsy of a suspicious lump
- remove diseased tissue or organs
- remove an obstruction
- reposition structures to their normal position
- redirect channels
- transplant tissue or whole organs or electronic devices
- improve physical appearance
- Major surgery – These operations most often occur on the head, neck, chest, and abdomen, and can greatly affect the way the body functions. The recovery time can be lengthy and may involve a stay in intensive care or at least several days in the hospital. There is a higher risk of complications after such operations. In children, types of major surgery may include the following:
- removal of brain tumors or other solid tumors
- correction of bone malformations of the skull and face
- repair of congenital heart disease, transplantation of organs, and repair of intestinal malformations
- correction of spinal abnormalities and treatment of injuries sustained from major blunt trauma
- Minor surgery– Some procedures that children undergo are considered minor. The recovery time is short and children return to their usual activities rapidly. These operations are most often done as an outpatient, and children can return home the same day or after an overnight hospital stay. Complications from these types of operations are rare. Examples of the most common types of minor surgery may include the following:
- placement of ear tubes
- hernia repairs
- correction of bone fractures
- removal of skin lesions
- biopsy of growths
- Urgent or emergency surgery – This type of surgery is done in reaction to an urgent medical condition, such as correction of a life-threatening congenital heart malformation or repair of injured internal organs after an automobile accident, or a problem such as appendicitis.
- Required surgery – These are procedures that need to be done to make your child’s life better in the future. An example might be having a spinal fusion to correct severe curvature of the spine. Required surgery, unlike emergency surgery, does not necessarily have to be done immediately and can allow you time to prepare your child for the experience.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT US !
Don’t Just Take it from us,Let our Students do the talking.