The Department of Medicine started on the new building of the hospital and research center in 1988 The Department under the chairmanship of Dr C R Bidri, Ex-Dean and Dr. S. B. Patil as the organizing secretary, successfully hosted 7th Karnataka API & CSI conference. More than four hundred delegates participated. Department hosted KAPICON-2015 and State level Mid Term Geriatric Conference in 2011 and 2016. The Department is conducting Diabetic Clinic since 1989. It has organized many CMEs and Workshops and Guest Lectures. The Research Cell was the brainchild of Dr S B Patil and he was the secretary of the cell for a period of two years during which all the research projects were compiled in a book and were meticulously followed during those two years.
The Department has a well equipped ICCU, CCU, Tread Mill, Echocardiography and for teaching purpose the Department has a Seminar Room with audiovisual equipments.The Department regularly conducts Departmental meeting, subject seminars, journal clubs, mortality conferences and clinical meeting for Post Graduate Students. Regular Quiz Competitions, Drawing Competitions and World Days of Important diseases are organized for both UG and PG students. As innovative method of teaching Image Classes are taken for undergraduate students.The students are given regular OPD teaching as well as bedside teaching apart from didactic lectures. It has got its own tutorial hall. Students are taken for regular health checkup camps.With the joining of Prof. P. V. Prabhakar Rao, the Department of TB & Chest, which was so far under Department of Medicine, was transferred to him. The Department of Medicine, understanding with District Tuberculosis Centre started distributing free TB drugs, every Wednesday.
Now RNTCP centre started distributing antitubercular drugs daily at our Hospital.The teachers apart from teaching the students also engage in research work and have presented papers at State, National and International level. They also participate in extra-curricular activities like sports and social service
- Dr S B Patil has written books in the local language about health and also on Diabetes Mellitus.
- Honorable Vice-Chancellor Dr M S Biradar, Dr Sharan Badiger and Dr Anand Ambali, contributed for book chapters.
- Few of the teachers are noted members of Rotary and have occupied an important position in that organization.
- Dr S B Patil was the Governor of Rotary Internal District 3170 for 1995-96. He has visited USA and European countries and had an opportunity of seeing good centers like Sarsota Memorial Hospital and San Diego Cardiac Centre and General Hospitals in London and Don Caster and Noughtingham.
- Dr M S Biradar Vice Chancellor BLDE (Deemed To Be University) has been appointed as visiting Professor to Tulane University.
- Dr. R. C. Bidri, Prof. of Medicine, was Medical Superintendent From 14.8.2000 to 27.09.2004 and Principal from 28.09.2004 to 10.08.2012
- Dr S S Devarmani, Professor of Medicine, Head of Unit IV is also Controller of Examinations of BLDE (Deemed to be University) since 1st April 2010.
- Dr Badiger Sharanabasawappa, Professor and Head of the Department, recipient of “Senior Scientist Award” BLDE (Deemed to be University, at the time of 7th Convocation on 01.10.2020.
- The department has started specialty clinics like Diabetes, Nephrology, Gastroenterology, Geriatrics, Neurology, Dementia Clinic, Hematology Clinic, Gastroenterology Clinic, Cardiology Clinic and Tuberculosis & Chest Diseases
Value added course on home care And Geriatric Care by BLDEA institute of Nursing Sciences
Health Check up Camps
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
Nephrology is the Medical speciality concerned with Prevention,Diagnosis treatment of acute Kidney Injury and chronic Kidney disease.The Department serves as one of the biggest Dialysis center in north Karnataka Performing over 500 dialysis Procedures in a Month. we have Daily OPD for Outdoor Patients and Day care facilities for all age groups,
a well equipped Hemodialysis Units, Monitoring of the critically ill, Hemodialysis in critical care unit in the form of Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy(CRRT). The department works closely with urology vascular surgery and Pathology.The current dialysis unit is a sophisticated center located on the second floor of the hospital. we have 10 dialysis Machines, which caters to around 20 Patients everyday and provides 24×7 service. Slow Low Efficiency Dialysis (SLED) is being offered to selected hemodynamically unstable Patients in the intensive care unit.
In the Last one and half year we have done more than 500 dialysis Procedures around 50 Kidney Biopsy, and more than 50 Plasmapheresis.
- Kidney Biopsy
- 24×7 Hemodialysis
- Intensive Care Unit
- Slow Low Efficiency Dialysis
A nephrologist is a doctor who is certified in nephrology and specializes in diagnosing and treating kidney diseases.
• Glomerular filtration rate (GFR). This test measures how well your kidneys are filtering your blood. GFR begins to decrease below normal levels in kidney disease.
• Serum creatinine. Creatinine is a waste product and is present at higher levels in the blood of people with kidney dysfunction.
• Blood urea nitrogen (BUN). As with creatinine, finding high levels of this waste product in the blood is a sign of kidney dysfunction.
• Urinalysis. This urine sample can be tested with a dipstick for pH as well as the presence of abnormal amounts of blood, glucose, protein, or bacteria.
• Albumin/creatinine ratio (ACR). This urine test measures the amount of the protein albumin in your urine. Albumin in the urine is a sign of kidney dysfunction.
• 24-hour urine collection. This method uses a special container to collect all of the urine that you produce during a 24-hour period. Further testing can be performed on this sample.
• Creatinine clearance. This is a measure of creatinine from both a blood sample and a 24-hour urine sample that’s used to calculate the amount of creatinine that’s exited the blood and moved to the urine.
Your primary care doctor can help prevent and treat the early stages of kidney disease. However, sometimes these early stages may not have any symptoms or may have nonspecific symptoms such as fatigue, sleep problems, and changes in the amount you urinate.Regular testing can monitor your kidney function, particularly if you’re at risk for kidney disease. These groups include people with:
• high blood pressure
• heart disease
• a family history of kidney problems
Testing can detect signs of decreasing kidney function, such as a decreasing GFR value or an increase in the level of albumin in your urine. If your test results indicate rapid or continuing deterioration of kidney function, your doctor may refer you to a nephrologist.Your doctor may also refer you to a nephrologist if you have any of the following:
• advanced chronic kidney disease
• large amounts of blood or protein in your urine
• recurring kidney stones, though you may also be referred to a urologist for this
• high blood pressure that’s still high even though you’re taking medications
• a rare or inherited cause of kidney disease
Cardiology is a branch of medicine that deals with the disorders of the heart as well as some parts of the circulatory system. The field includes medical diagnosis and treatment of congenital heart defects, coronary artery disease, heart failure, valvular heart disease and electrophysiology. Physicians who specialize in this field of medicine are called cardiologists, a specialty of internal medicine. Pediatric cardiologists are pediatricians who specialize in cardiology. Physicians who specialize in cardiac surgery are called cardiothoracic surgeons or cardiac surgeons, a specialty of general surgery.
Although the cardiovascular system is inextricably linked to blood, cardiology is relatively unconcerned with hematology and its diseases. Some obvious exceptions that affect the function of the heart would be blood tests (electrolyte disturbances, troponins), decreased oxygen carrying capacity (anemia, hypovolemic shock), and coagulopathies
Endocrinology is a Medical Speciality concerned with disorders of endocrine gland. There are 8 major endocrine glands secreting various hormones which affect body Processes from head to toe. there include growth , metabolism, sexual functioning & Reproduction, blood sugars, electrolyte balance and mood disorders.
Since the beginning of endocrine department at our institution from december 2018.we have provided OPD services to 2,590 Patients,which include- DM ,thyroid disorders, secondary hypertension,obesity,puberty disorders & other hormone related disorders.
Facilities at our Institute include all hormonal Including dynamics tests,continuous glucose Monitoring System ,expert dietician advice, diabetic retinopathy screening ,Diabetic foot care,diabetic Nephropathy screening.
Some of the Major cases
Gastroenterology is the branch of medicine focused on the digestive system and its disorders. Diseases affecting the gastrointestinal tract, which include the organs from mouth into anus, along the alimentary canal, are the focus of this specialty. Physicians practicing in this field are called gastroenterologists. Gastroenterologists perform a number of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures including colonoscopy, endoscopy, endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), endoscopic ultrasound and liver biopsy.
Qualified gastroenterologist surgeon has been working in this hospital under surgery department.He performs endoscopy, colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy procedures and also treat upper GI bleeds and manages GI tract surgeries
Geriatrics, or geriatric medicine, is a specialty that focuses on health care of elderly people. It aims to promote health by preventing and treating diseases and disabilities in older adults. There is no set age at which patients may be under the care of a geriatrician, or geriatric physician, a physician who specializes in the care of elderly people. Rather, this decision is determined by the individual patient’s needs, and the availability of a specialist. It is important to note the difference between geriatrics, the care of aged people, and gerontology, which is the study of the aging process itself.
The Geriatric Clinic serves the senior citizen on every Wednesday between 09.00am to 05.00pm in OPD number 5, ground floor, Shri B. M. Patil Medical College Hospital and Research Centre, Vijayapura 586103
- Distinguished services award was presented to four dignitaries who have been serving society & Senior Citizens
- Continuing Medical Education by Department of Medicine and Geriatric Clinic
- Creating awareness regarding elder abuse among senior citizens, medical and Nursing students and police personnel.
- District level Committee on Elder Abuse Prevention and Maintenance and Welfare of Senior Citizen Act,Vijayapura District.
- Activities In creating awareness on Elder Abuse
- GERIATRIC CLINIC ACTIVITIES
Frequently Asked Questions
Its in 2nd floor at hospital building with room No-309.
ground floor of hospital building with room No-5
floor at hospital building with ward No-301
2nd floor at hospital building with ward No-304
1st floor CCU with ward No-209
2d echo cardiography and TMT is done in 1st floor CCU with ward No-209
3rd floor at hospital building with ward No-405
2nd floor with ward NO-306
1st floor with ward No-207
OPD No-5, ground floor, Hospital building
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT US !
Don’t Just Take it from us,Let our Students do the talking.